Friday, March 1, 2024

Do Your Worst

         


Title: Do Your Worst
Author: Rosie Danan
Publisher: Berkley, November 14, 2023
Pages: 339
Genre: Paranormal Romantic Comedy

Riley Rhodes finally has the chance to turn her family’s knack for the supernatural into a legitimate business when she’s hired to break the curse on an infamous Scottish castle. Used to working alone in her alienating occupation, she's pleasantly surprised to meet a handsome stranger upon arrival—until he tries to get her fired.

Fresh off a professional scandal, Clark Edgeware can’t allow a self-proclaimed “curse breaker” to threaten his last chance for redemption. After he fails to get Riley kicked off his survey site, he vows to avoid her. Unfortunately for him, she vows to get even.

Riley expects the curse to do her dirty work by driving Clark away, but instead, they keep finding themselves in close proximity. Too close. Turns out, the only thing they do better than fight is fool around. If they’re not careful, by the end of all this, more than the castle will end up in ruins.

The whole time I was listening to this I could hear Heartbreaker by Pat Benatar in the background. I think it's because of all of the times they said curse breaker, but it worked for this book. I need to work out if I owe Ms. Benatar any royalties though.

I really loved the setting for this book. A cursed castle in Scotland? Sign me up! I can't smell magic, but I definitely could have broken this curse with the likes of Clark Edgeware. Probably faster than Riley Rhodes, serial self-sabotager, did. I talk a big talk, but Riley was working with what information she had and she was trying to be a professional. And Clark was WRONG for trying to get her kicked off the job on day one. But I am getting ahead of myself.

I think the dynamic of archaeologist and curse breaker could not be more perfect! I love that he is such a stickler for the rules and she is going off vibes all the way. And I have to talk about the spice because it was good. But pulling someone's hair is not being mean to them. Especially not if she asked for it. So when she was talking about how she liked that he was mean to her, I was thrown for a tiny mini loop. Like...degradation kink is a thing and that's what I think of when I hear I want someone to be mean to me. BUT don't get me wrong, the spice was very very good.

Ratings
Stars: 4/5
Spice: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment