Sunday, October 13, 2024

Shark Heart

    


Title: Shark Heart: A Love Story
Author: Emily Habeck
Publisher: S&S/ Marysue Rucci Books, August 8, 2023
Pages: 415
Genre: Lit Fic

For Lewis and Wren, their first year of marriage is also their last. A few weeks after their wedding, Lewis receives a rare diagnosis: He will retain most of his consciousness, memories, and intellect, but his physical body will gradually turn into a great white shark. As Lewis develops the features and impulses of one of the most predatory creatures in the ocean, his complicated artist’s heart struggles to make peace with his unfulfilled dreams.

At first, Wren internally resists her husband’s fate. Is there a way for them to be together after Lewis changes? Then, a glimpse of Lewis’s developing carnivorous nature activates long-repressed memories for Wren, whose story vacillates between her childhood living on a houseboat in Oklahoma, her time with her college ex-girlfriend, and her unusual friendship with a woman pregnant with twin birds.

TikTok, you are such a bad influence. I mean, maybe the correct phrase is just that TikTok is such an influence. I really enjoyed this book. It was poignant and melancholy and kind of beautiful. Even if the premise is absolutely wild and fantastical. 

It felt really tragic for this woman to have cold-blooded creatures surrounding her for her entire life. Like what are the odds? In this world where evolving into wild animals is hereditary and always skips a generation, fairly good, apparently. But bad luck all the same. Also, I think my biggest concern about all of this is that the solution for evolving into a wild animal is either release into the wild, or "ethical euthanasia." We can't come up with a better solution in a world where this is a known medical condition?!? Seems rough. 

Now. If I lived in this world, I would really hope that evolve into a house cat. I already know that my partner is excellent to our pets, and I think they would take care of me too. I don't want to ask them because I already asked them if they would still love me if I turned into a worm, and it shockingly hurt my feelings when they said no. Like I get it. But here we are. And it was still a great book.

Ratings
Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment