Saturday, July 22, 2023

The Right Swipe

   


Title: The Right Swipe
Series: Modern Love #1
Author: Alisha Rai
Publisher: Avon, August 6, 2019
Pages: 394
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Rhiannon Hunter may have revolutionized romance in the digital world, but in real life she only swipes right on her career—and the occasional hookup. The cynical dating app creator controls her love life with a few key rules: 

- Nude pics are by invitation only 

- If someone stands you up, block them with extreme prejudice 

- Protect your heart 

Only there aren't any rules to govern her attraction to her newest match, former pro-football player Samson Lima. The sexy and seemingly sweet hunk woos her one magical night... and disappears. 

Rhi thought she'd buried her hurt over Samson ghosting her, until he suddenly surfaces months later, still big, still beautiful—and in league with a business rival. He says he won't fumble their second chance, but she's wary. A temporary physical partnership is one thing, but a merger of hearts? Surely that’s too high a risk…


This book was fighting an uphill battle with me. Which is shocking because I LOVE Alisha Rai. Her books, her TikTok, love her. But I hadn't read this series, and I bought this book at my local bookstore last year. I pulled the title from my little glass jar that's my attempt at reading the physical books on my bookshelf that I haven't gotten around to. However, I am a fully converted Ebook enthusiast. My little noodle arms have such a hard time holding a real book for an extended period of time. 

Then I get into it, and it's GOOD. Like Rhi is this genius software developer who just wants to create a safe space for people to find love without being creeped out by the...creeps.  And Samson is awesome. He's chill and hot and understanding, which is also hot. So why did it take me 5 months to read this book? It's an excellent question. 

It is good. There is a LOT going on. You have a second chance after a one-night stand. You have this business woman trying to conquer Silicon Valley. You have fun side characters, and so much glorious representation. There is also some heavier themes, like CTE and the impact of football on the players health and families. There's abuse and gaslighting and sexual harassment in the workplace. 

I love Samson and Rhi's chemistry. They are hot and they are hot for each other. And I know that they each had their own trauma to work through and stuff. But dang. The way that Rhi kept forcing him to arm's length was rough. It was not his fault Rhiannon. He was not the butthead who hurt you. But again, she did have to go through it. Overall, I made it to the end. I loved Katrina and Lakshmi, but I don't think now's the right time to attempt to continue the series for me. I wanted this to be a little more of a "beach read" than it was. But I finished!!!

Ratings
Stars: 3/5
Spice: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment