Saturday, July 22, 2023

Up in Flames

     


Title: Up in Flames
Author: Eden Finley and Saxon James
Publisher: July 13, 2023
Pages: 284
Genre: LGBT Romance

When it’s your job as groomsman to tell the groom his wedding isn’t happening, the smartest thing to do is get it over and done with and then tell the guests to leave.

Yeah, well, I never said I was smart.

I might … accidentally, maybe on purpose, suggest to Remy that the best form of revenge is to have a party anyway. I mean, he’s already got catering, a DJ, and guests, so what better time to throw a petty party?

My loser high school friend never deserved him anyway. If I’d had the chance, I would have locked Remy down years ago.

Only, when the party leads to a drunken kiss, going on their honeymoon, and sharing their marital bed, I have to say, I’m not entirely sad that their wedding went up in flames.


This was fun. It's much heavier than I'm used to from these authors. But it's very good, and they have thorough content warnings in the beginning of the book. But I'm used to their silly, sexy hockey boys. So these silly, sexy, very traumatized fire fighter and paramedic were a bit of a shock!

That's not to say there weren't still moments where this book was laugh out loud funny. Or that it was any less sexy than their other books. It was definitely both of those things. But it also had a heavy dose of harsh reality thrown in. 

So, Remy gets left at the altar. Sanden, who's been harboring feelings for Remy the whole time he was with Eman, convinces Remy to have a reception anyway.....and take Sanden on the honeymoon! He's just looking out for Remy during a hard time. Until the last night of the honeymoon... He's still looking out for Remy, but you know, that's not ALL he's looking out for anymore. 

The farther away from the wedding we get, the more we learn of just how abusive Eman's and Remy's relationship was. And the more we learn about why Sanden became a fire fighter, and just how hard his career can be on him. They burn bright and they burn fast for one another, but they both have a lot of work to do before they're ready to be good for each other. 

I think that the authors handled the trauma really well. But it was tough to read about it. But worth it!

Ratings
Stars: 4/5
Spice: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment