Thursday, January 18, 2024

New Year Knew You

                                              

Title: New Year Knew You
Series: Capricorn Cove #5
Author: Evie Mitchell
Published: Thunder Thighs Publishing, February 25, 2020
Pages: 80
Genre: RomCom Novella

Emily

The doctors told me I have amnesia. They've said it's a result of the concussion I sustained on New Year's Eve, but I know the truth.

I've been transported to a parallel universe. It's the only plausible explanation as to why I'm now living five years in the future, where I've morphed into some kind of crazy bully who has a better relationship with my mother-in-law than my husband.

Or should I say, ex-husband? How is it that Calvin Jameson and I have gone from hopelessly devoted to separated and on the cusp of divorce?

I can't remember, but I'm damned sure I'm going to find out.

Calvin

I love my wife. The problem is, I no longer like her. After our wedding, she morphed from the dorky barefooted hippy into a prim and proper Stepford wife whose tongue is sharper than a sword.

When Emily wakes up from a coma claiming not to remember the last five years – I'm sceptical. But then she shows signs of the old her. The woman who eats burgers with extra fries, who wants to learn how to juggle, who plays the violin naked and dreams of exploring every beach the world has to offer.

And I have to ask myself – what if I just ignore the last five years? What if this is our do-over?


I've done it again. And by it, I mean the disservice of jumping into a series in the middle. Who knew that this was a thing that I did? Just a year ago I would have said that I'm not capable of it, and I don't know that that's a completely inaccurate statement. It's just not a recipe for me fully enjoying a story, I think. And it's more than likely not how the author intended the story to be consumed.


All of that to say, I did enjoy this story. I just think I was missing some of the background information to really get the most out of the experience. 


We love an amnesia trope though. And the way it was done here was really good. The idea that these two people were so in love, but their insecurities got in the way the first time around. And now they've gotten this medical second chance was really well done. I thought the questions and hurdles that might be presented for this couple were really interesting and handled well. Mostly I enjoyed musing about it on my own. I love a good thought experiment. 


This is short, sweet, and very very human. If you're looking for a quick, spicy read, this is a good bet. 


Ratings
Stars: 3
Spice: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment