Monday, February 26, 2024

The Thief

        


Title: The Thief
Series: The Queen's Thief #1
Author: Megan Whalen Turner
Publisher: Greenwillow Books, September 10, 2009
Pages: 236
Genre: YA Mythology

Eugenides, the queen’s thief, can steal anything—or so he says. When his boasting lands him in prison and the king’s magus invites him on a quest to steal a legendary object, he’s in no position to refuse. The magus thinks he has the right tool for the job, but Gen has plans of his own.

I started this book with fairly low hopes. I thought it was just going to be a placeholder book. I did get sidetracked by a podcast for nearly two weeks while trying to listen to this book. But I loved the audio production for sure.

I thought I had the whole book figured out in the first 15%. I did, but man did she manage to convince me that it couldn't possible be right for the biggest chunk! My tiny two-week hiatus may have had a bit to do with losing some of the nitty-gritties but we got there in the end, Gen and I!

The best part of this book was the mythology for sure. We got to hear all about this world's creation myth and we were introduced to their main pantheon lineup. I thought it was a really fun device to use the magus quizzing and teaching his apprentices to make room for so much exposition in the narrative. And they told the entire myths by way of bedtime stories during their long journey. It was really fun. I wasn't sure how attached to this series I would be, but I'm in it. I want to know what other kind of shenanigans Eugenides is going to get into.

Ratings
Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment