Saturday, September 7, 2024

Surviving Skarr

     

Title: Surviving Skarr
Series: Ice Planet Clones #2
Author: Ruby Dixon
Publisher: October 31, 2023
Pages: 300
Genre: Sci-Fi Romance

Overnight, my life has changed to one of sheer survival.

I wake up on a strange alien world covered in ice. I have no memories of myself, not even my name.

And I've resonated to the biggest braggart on the planet. Skarr is a chest-beating alpha male gladiator with lizard genetics and an intense case of self-love. He tells everyone within hearing distance how amazing he is. Bleh.

I want nothing to do with him, but according to the khui, we're soulmates. This means we're bound to have babies and live our lives out together...forever...

Not if I have anything to say about it.

To survive, I'm going to have to figure out who I am, what I am...and what to do about the man who won't shut up about how incredible and perfect I am.

It has to be an act... doesn't it?

As you can guess from the series title, these newbies to Not Hoth are clones. The issue is, a lot of them are illegal clones that don't have the knowledge of being a clone. So they have some access to their "original" memories, but they get to deal with the existential crisis of discovering that those aren't actually things that they have done. They haven't done anything. But some of the clones, specifically the gladiators, do know they're clones. I love it here.

Skarr is a lizard splice, and as you can imagine this does not work well on a frozen planet. He is also an egomaniac, so he's not the most popular guy. And yet, he is the first gladiator to resonate. 

Vivi really struggles with her clone-ness. A crisis of identity if you will. BUT. She was cloned from a woman with a survivalist father and a lot of really useful skills. She is also extremely shy and socially anxious. Which is the exact opposite of Skarr. He is not shy and he wants everyone to know he's the best. My favorite part of this was the way that they care for one another. They pick up the slack for each other and it's perfect. I can't wait to get to know Rem'eb!

Ratings
Stars: 3/5
Spice: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment