Wednesday, June 28, 2023

It Goes Like This

                     

Title: It Goes Like This
Author: Miel Moreland
Published: Feiwel & FriendsMay 18, 2021
Pages: 348
Genre: LGBTQ Young Adult

Eva, Celeste, Gina, and Steph used to think their friendship was unbreakable. After all, they've been though a lot together, including the astronomical rise of Moonlight Overthrow, the world-famous queer pop band they formed in middle school, never expecting to headline anything bigger than the county fair.

But after a sudden falling out leads to the dissolution of the teens' band, their friendship, and Eva and Celeste's starry-eyed romance, nothing is the same. Gina and Celeste step further into the spotlight, Steph disappears completely, and Eva, heartbroken, takes refuge as a songwriter and secret online fangirl...of her own band. That is, until a storm devastates their hometown, bringing the four ex-best-friends back together. As they prepare for one last show, they'll discover whether growing up always means growing apart.

I think I may have burned myself out on YA books this month. I definitely burned myself out on YA audiobooks this month. There's a certain tone that it seems all audio narrators use to signify "adolescent woman" that sounds very much like...."ultra whine" to me. As this was a book about 3 adolescent women and their non-binary bandmate....the whine was STRONG. And it did greatly impact my enjoyment of the story.

Steph was by far my favorite part of this book. But there was a running theme in this book of people choosing to martyr themselves for no apparent reason. Blegh. I know that people in the entertainment industry tend to grow up really fast, but this was wild. It slapped me in the face a few times just how young they were. Like...you got time babes! 

In saying all of that. It's a cute queer pop band story. And I did like the growth that I got to see in all of them and especially in their relationships to one another!

Ratings
Stars: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment