Sunday, September 10, 2023

Pucking Wild

                       

Title: Pucking Wild
Author: Emily Rath
Published: Emily Rath BooksAugust 21, 2023
Pages: 636
Genre: LGBTQ Hockey Romance

My name is Tess Owens and my life is officially on fire. I never thought dancing at my best friend’s wedding would be the match to light the flames. But with one lingering touch, one longing look…and one sneaky caterer holding a camera phone, my almost ex-husband is ready to torch my entire life.

Unwilling to face the heat, I do what I do best: I run. Straight into the arms of Rachel and her team of NHL hockey players. One player stands apart from the rest. Jacksonville Rays star forward Ryan Langley is out with an injury. I get the surprise of my life when he shows up at my door, declaring himself my roommate.

Now I have six weeks to launch a new business. Six weeks to fight for my freedom…all while fighting my growing attraction to this All-American sweetheart with a charming smile and a career on the rise. Did I mention he’s ten years younger than me? Ryan doesn’t need my drama. And we have nothing in common. But it’s getting harder to deny the way he makes me feel. Wild. Fun. Free.

I want to believe him when he says age is just a number. I want to believe that our pasts don’t define us forever. But first I have to stop running. I have to face my fears. With one innocent dance, Ryan Langley helped me start this fire. What if we’re meant to fan these flames? What if, together, we’re meant to burn?

Oh man, I have some feelings about this dang book. Most are amazing. But the closer we got to the main conflict, the more frustrated I got! And frustration is maybe not the right word. I was getting frustrated with Tess, but she was a victim and I wasn't frustrated with *her.* More so the situation and her HEINOUS ex. 

My main complaint about Pucking Around is the same complaint that I have about Pucking Wild. Tess and Rachel are besties because they both have a martyr streak. Tess has been separated from her douche-canoe of a husband for 3 years. She hasn't wanted to rock the boat too much, and he's been pretty much leaving her alone, so she hasn't really pushed for the official divorce. Until he loses it when photos from a private event leak of her daring to dance with another man. It's wild y'all. They really were just dancing. Sure, flirting, too. But her ex is pathological and he will not stand for it. So he's going to burn down her life, Ryan's life, his life, anyone's life to "prove" that he's the real victim here. And this is where her martyrdom comes out because every time that man makes any kind of move or threat, she is ready to pack her bags and keep on running. Damn the connection or chemistry or hurt feelings she leaves in her wake. 

In saying that, I love Tess! She is a badass! And baby just has trauma that she's working through. I had to remind myself of that occasionally, but it was never far from my mind. Even when I was screaming at her to stop trying to hurt Ryan! Because as much as I love Tess, I was ready to punch her in the tit for hurting Ryan!!! 

Then there's Ryan. Sweet puppy Ryan Langley. Reading him talk about Tess was FIRE! So hot. He was so obsessed with her and I was here for it! I actively forgot that this was reverse age gap. Ryan did not read as 22 for me, and had to remind myself a few times that that was part of this whole thing. A very good part. And then of course there was Ilmari. The rest of the Prices as well....but Ilmari shone in this book. <3

Ratings
Stars: 5/5
Spice: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment