Saturday, September 16, 2023

The Fifth Season

                        

Title: The Fifth Season
Author: N.K. Jemisin
Published: Orbit, August 4, 2015
Pages: 466
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

This is the way the world ends. . .for the last time.

It starts with the great red rift across the heart of the world's sole continent, spewing ash that blots out the sun. It starts with death, with a murdered son and a missing daughter. It starts with betrayal, and long dormant wounds rising up to fester.

This is the Stillness, a land long familiar with catastrophe, where the power of the earth is wielded as a weapon. And where there is no mercy.

ROCK MAGIC! My geologist heart was singing with all of the earth magic. I feel like anyone watching me read this book would see a happy puppy. My head cocked to the side and my tail wagging at just the mention of gems and stones and mineral names. 

Now. As exciting as that was for me. Let's not gloss over the fact that these rock magicians were second class citizens. Slaves. The racial politics were all too familiar. These orogenes were used to keep the world still. They can calm earthquakes and tsunamis and volcanos with their power. That kind of power terrifies the "Stills" and so they do everything they can to keep the orogenes under control. Unfortunately, they can do a lot to brainwash and manipulate this whole population under control and terrified. 

Essun is one of these orogenes. And even if there was nothing else that made me want to read the next book in the series, I would want to read it to see Essun get her justice! Justice...vengeance. Honestly, both. I'm sure her story is not unique in this world. The story of a subjugated woman. But boy, am I ready to read about her vengeance. This round of vengeance at least. She's gotten some of it in the past! And it was glorious to behold. If only because reading about her reasoning was SO tough to read. 

I'm sure there is a comprehensive list of trigger warnings. I urge you to seek it out if you have any severe triggers. 

Ratings
Stars: 5/5
Spice: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment