Saturday, October 14, 2023

Girls Like Girls

                            

Title: Girls Like Girls
Author: Hayley Kiyoko
Published: Wednesday Books, May 30, 2023
Pages: 311
Genre: LGBT YA Romance

It’s summertime and 17-year-old Coley has found herself alone, again. Forced to move to rural Oregon after just losing her mother, she is in no position to risk her already fragile heart. But when she meets Sonya, the attraction is immediate.

Coley worries she isn't worthy of love. Up until now, everyone she's loved has left her. And Sonya's never been with a girl before. What if she's too afraid to show up for Coley? What if by opening her heart, Coley's risking it all?

They both realize that when things are pushed down, and feelings are forced to shrivel away, Coley and Sonya will be the ones to shrink. It’s not until they accept the love they fear and deserve most, that suddenly the song makes sense.

I do not miss being a teenager. That ish is hard. And holy moly did I feel like I was tossed into the thick of those feelings listening to this audio production. It was a massively well-done audio production though. I adore when authors narrate their own work. And this was no different. Hayley did an amazing job, of course. But Natalie Naudus was IN IT for Sonya's POV. 

I am also so grateful that I didn't figure myself out in high school. Like, as previously discussed, being a teenager is super hard. But then figuring out and dealing with being a queer teenager? Trying to decide if you are ready to share that part of yourself with the world. If you're willing to accept that part of yourself. All while dealing with the hormone soup that is being 17?! I was lucky that my frontal lobe was nearly fully developed when I realized that I was queer. Because it wasn't super easy at 23. 

And then on top of all of this being a teenager-ness, Coley has also just lost her mother? And is forced to move in with her father....who left them 14 years earlier. This was the hardest part to reconcile. Her dad seemed to genuinely care and want to be there for her. But that man has got a LOT of groveling and making up to do. And even when he's finished, if Coley wanted to walk away, I would not blame her. 

These kids were dealing with some BIG LIFE things. All in one summer, dang, Hayley! But together, Sonya and Coley were adorable. It was the cutest friends to "lovers" story. I put that in quotations because this is a YA folks. It's all fade to black and closed doors around here. But they're so cute together. And the third act breakup is ultra harsh, because...you know 17. At this point I don't even remember if they get an HEA. But I don't know that it matters either. I cannot state this enough, apparently. But they were 17!

Ratings
Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment