Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Educated

             


Title: Educated
Series: Museology #2
Author: Nellie Wilson
Published: August 8, 2023
Pages: 335
Genre: Contemporary Romance

Phoebe Whitford has mostly drifted through life, grateful that without a set plan, she completed graduate school, settled into a career, and become the go-to advice giver for her people. But after first watching her brother and then her best friend fall in love, she’s wondering when - or if - it will ever be her turn. One night, at the bar she’s been frequenting for years, Phoebe asks her favorite bartender a question that changes everything. 

Declan McFadden loves his bar. It may not have been the dream his family had for him, but he’s built a life he’s proud of, cobbled together like the tattoos on his body. Six years ago, he asked Phoebe out and she responded with silence. Content with being friends, he still gets a buzz every time she visits. When Phoebe proposes an arrangement between them, he agrees, grateful for any time with her can get. Maybe away from the bar, they could become something more. 

The more time they spend together, the more Phoebe and Dec learn about their individual desires and struggles. How can two independent people rely on each other to help them make their best futures? And does that future include each other?

This book was recommended to me to fulfill a challenge prompt for the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo. I'm not sure that I would have finished it otherwise. I wanted to like it so bad. And don't get me wrong, there were parts that I enjoyed very much. The first 30% was very good. 

I loved that they were both bi. I loved that they were both so hot for each other and utterly convinced that they had no shot. I did identify a little more than I would have liked with Phoebe's need to help everyone around her and never ask for too much for herself or be too selfish. She felt that people would only want to be around her if she was contributing to the relationship in some tangible way, and that hit very close to home. 

But then they get together and things kind of started to deteriorate for me. Which is not usually the way. And I know that these two have been friends for 6 years and hot for each other for all that time, but things accelerated VERY quickly. And somehow it felt like it took me FOREVER to read the last 65% of the book. 

It's still a 3 star read. It was good. But there were some things that would have definitely made me DNF if not for those 2 bingos I got for finishing!! 

Ratings
Stars: 3/5
Spice: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment