Monday, November 6, 2023

Ancients

                                     

Title: Ancients
Series: The Librarian's Coven #4
Author: Kathryn Moon
Published: December 24, 2019
Pages: 222
Genre: Fantasy Romance

The Ancients, a race of creatures between gods and monsters, are trapped in Canderfey. Fighting for their home, the University, and the remaining residents of the town, Joanna and her coven are in daily peril. When one of the Ancients escapes the boundary, the coven is separated, Isaac traveling in search of a solution to the turmoil of the summer.  

As days wear on, can Joanna and her coven keep their warrior spirit, or have they been fighting too hard and too long? Perhaps the Ancients - older, more powerful, and impossible to kill-are an obstacle too enormous to overcome.

Will Canderfey be saved and the coven free to live in peace? Or will the cages, keeping Ancients in and magic out, crumble and set chaos loose upon the world?

This was a great conclusion for the series. I still would love to know a bit more about Bryce. I'll never know enough I'm sure. But I enjoyed what I was given as well.

The Ancients are really cool. I really enjoyed the lore behind them, and how their powers work and all of that stuff. It was a very fun treat to get that in this book. Overall, there were like 3 huge magic systems in this world, and the little tastes and insight we got into all of them were very neat. I love a good world-building exercise. 

It was Isaac's turn to go on a walk-about in this book. Magic is still out of hand in Canderfey, and Isaac sneaks out to go find more Ancients to help them defeat and re-imprison the Ancients that are trapped with his coven. It was fun to see him standing on his own. He kind of felt like a device to bring everyone together, so to get more of his personality was a treat. I guess he's still essentially working to bring everyone together, but he's taking a much more active role in this book.

Tiny spoiler alert: Joanna gets pregnant and I couldn't roll my eyes hard enough. I'm happy for them, sure. I want them to have all of the things they want in life. And even the way in which she gets pregnant makes perfect sense. No magic in Canderfey means magical birth control is just tea, friends. But it did give me the grumps a little bit. I just don't love a surprise pregnancy in a book. For me or for the characters. 

But overall the series was a delight and I definitely recommend to anyone who likes to read about interesting worlds and magic systems!

Ratings
Stars: 3/5
Spice: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment