Thursday, March 30, 2023

A Soul to Keep

   


Title: A Soul to Keep
Series: Duskwalker Brides #1
Author: Opal Reyne
Publisher: June 16, 2022
Pages: 543
Genre: Fantasy Romance

All Reia ever wanted was freedom.

Known as a harbinger of bad omens and blamed for Demons eating her family, Reia is shunned by her entire village. When the next offering is due and the monstrous Duskwalker is seen heading their way, her village offers her an impossible choice – be thrown into the prison cells or allow herself to be sacrificed to a faceless monster.

However, he is not what he seems. His skull face and glow eyes are ethereal, and she finds herself unwittingly enchanted by him.

All Orpheus ever wanted was a companion.

Each decade, in exchange for a protection ward from the Demons that terrorise the world, Orpheus takes a human offering to the Veil – the place he lives and the home of Demons. The brief companionship does little to ease his loneliness, and their lives were always, unfortunately, cut short.

He'd thought it was a hopeless endeavour, until he met her. She’s not afraid of him, and his insatiable desire deepens
within every moment of her presence.

But will Orpheus be able to convince Reia to stay before she’s lost to him forever?

**spoiler alert** 
I can't believe this only came out last summer. I thought for sure it had been on my TBR for MUCH longer. Either way, I just knew that I was going to love this book. We have a reluctant FMC, a lonely monster MMC, a heavy dose of danger, and smoking hot sex. It has all of the things that should mean I loved it.

But I just....didn't. I don't know if my hopes were too high. I do know that it was too long for me. Reia was too reluctant for too long though. Like the first time she ran away, ok. I forgive her. She's always felt trapped and she just wants to be free and she's feeling weird about letting a man who actively craves her flesh go down on her....and loving it. Got it. So she runs away. 

But then they save each other. Hell yes. Now bang and be happy forever. But that's not what happened. There was still so much book left. And she hurt him so many more times!!! I do love that there's obvious setup for the rest of the series in here. I am VERY interested in the 2 Duskwalkers who have each other that are mentioned. But Reia really did just annoy the crap out of me. 

She seemed very smart, and then she would pop off for no apparent reason.  I don't know. I know that no person is one thing. But some of the things that Reia was didn't make sense to me. And Orpheus deserved someone to really choose him, and even in the end if felt like Reia was just like......meh I don't want to die so please keep my soul. 

Ratings
Stars: 3/5
Spice: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment