Thursday, March 23, 2023

Daisy Jones & The Six

         

Title: Daisy Jones & The Six
Author: Taylor Jenkins Reid
Publisher: Random House Audio, March 5, 2019
Pages: 355
Genre: LitFic / Mockumentary

For a while, Daisy Jones & The Six were everywhere. Their albums were on every turntable, they sold out arenas from coast to coast, their sound defined an era. And then, on 12 July 1979, they split.

Nobody ever knew why. Until now.

They were lovers and friends and brothers and rivals. They couldn't believe their luck, until it ran out. This is their story of the early days and the wild nights, but everyone remembers the truth differently.

The only thing they all know for sure is that from the moment Daisy Jones walked barefoot onstage at the Whisky, their lives were irrevocably changed.

Making music is never just about the music. And sometimes it can be hard to tell where the sound stops and the feelings begin.


I love a mockumentary. I love watching them, and apparently reading them too. It's one of them things I'm most looking forward to about watching the show adapted from this book. SO I really hope they carried that aspect over because I haven't seen any trailers for it. I was trying to keep spoilers to a minimum. 

The audio production of this was so well done. I love a full cast, and these were some really recognizable voices. It was tough at first to separate Daisy Jones from Bette Porter in my head. But luckily, Daisy is not a completely likeable character, and I have a ton of practice not completely liking, but being very attracted to Bette Porter. So it worked out.

I would love to listen to The Six's albums. All of them. I'm still not sure if it's 2 or 3, but I want them. There was a recording of Honeycomb with the audiobook and I would totally listen to that album. This is a great book. It was really entertaining and I enjoyed listening to it. Solid 4 stars. 

Because I listened to the audio I wasn't able to make highlights in the book like I would in an ebook. Apparently, I've come to rely on this so I had to take notes on my phone. I will put them here for safe keeping:
-Jim Blades sounds like Zed from Mystic Bayou (confirmed!)
-"When you have everything, somebody else getting something...feels like they're stealing from you."
-"Women are always still standing."
^this was said in regard to heartbreaks. And while it's a lovely thought, and women are amazing as hell! But I think it we can all agree that there's more nuance than that.

Ratings

Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment