Saturday, February 25, 2023

A Restless Truth

   


Title: A Restless Truth
Series: The Last Binding #2
Author: Freya Marske
Publisher: Tordotcom, November 1, 2022
Pages: 271
Genre: LGBTQ+ Historical Fantasy Romance

The most interesting things in Maud Blyth's life have happened to her brother Robin, but she's ready to join any cause, especially if it involves magical secrets that may threaten the whole of the British Isles. Bound for New York on the R.M.S. Lyric, she's ready for an adventure.

What she actually finds is a dead body, a disrespectful parrot, and a beautiful stranger in Violet Debenham, who is everything—a magician, an actress, a scandal—Maud has been trained to fear and has learned to desire. Surrounded by the open sea and a ship full of loathsome, aristocratic suspects, they must solve a murder and untangle a conspiracy that began generations before them.

Wow 3rd historical for the year, and I'm officially experiencing Edwardian burnout. I LOVED IT! But I've hit my limit of potentially ruined women for now, and I'm glad that the third book in the series isn't set to release until November. Because while I am VERY interested in how that pairing with work out, and I have a ton of theories about some of the mystery....I am glad for the break.

Maud and Violet were nearly a perfect mix for me. Maud is the naive young woman, just learning about what she wants and how to get it. Violet is the experienced seductress who is absolutely dying to be the next big scandal. Violet is the perfect person to teach Maud all about her various appetites. And holy wow the lessons are HOT.

The action and unravelling the mystery is so well done. I am shocked that this book supposedly only spanned 6 days....so much happened!!! I'm still reeling over the timeline, and the ridiculousness of some of the dealings. There's a stampede for crying out loud! LOL

I must say, I did take off some points because guide lights weren't a large part of this story, and they're clearly the best part of this magic system. :)

Ratings
Stars: 4/5
Spice: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment