Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Raven King

   


Title: The Raven King
Series: All For The Game #2
Author: Nora Sakavic
Publisher: July 31, 2013
Pages: 286
Genre: LGBTQ+ Sports Fiction

The Foxes are a fractured mess, but their latest disaster might be the miracle they've always needed to come together as a team. The one person standing in their way is Andrew, and the only one who can break through his personal barriers is Neil.

Except Andrew doesn't give up anything for free and Neil is terrible at trusting anyone but himself. The two don't have much time to come to terms with their situation before outside forces start tearing them apart. Riko is intent on destroying Neil's fragile new life, and the Foxes have just become collateral damage.

Neil's days are numbered, but he's learning the hard way to go down fighting for what he believes in, and Neil believes in Andrew even if Andrew won't believe in himself.

Wowzer. Again, unputdownable. This series is speaking to everything that I was obsessed with in high school. Apparently that was the kind of book week I had. First something for the musical theater nerd in me. And now this, the athlete who wished she had secrets. Not these kinds of secrets. No thank you. But you, a little mystique wouldn't have hurt.

I'm baffled by how compelling this series. I would love to watch a game of Exy, please and thank you. Methinks I need to give lacrosse a shot. The closest I've gotten to watching it is the small snippets you see in Teen Wolf. But I did learn recently that it's Canada's national sport, which was a shock because I thought that was hockey. So to find out that it's lacrosse, and Exy is inspired as a mix of lacrosse and hockey? Well, sign me up! 

And to the book. Neil is having quite a character arc in this series. He's learning a lot of things about himself. And the biggest thing that I'm learning about him is that he's a lying liar and the most unreliable of narrators! I love it. How this little scared kid who's been on the run for most of his life is becoming the glue for this team of pirates is wild! But I'm here for it. 

Tons of content warnings. Like all of the content warnings. Rape, death, physical abuse, emotional abuse, etc. 

I'm most looking forward to my little toxic babies Andrew and Neil figuring their shit out in the final book. Still no romance. But a girl can dream!!

Ratings
Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment