Saturday, February 25, 2023

The Foxhole Court

   


Title: The Foxhole Court
Series: All For The Game #1
Author: Nora Sakavic
Publisher: July 30, 2013
Pages: 237
Genre: LGBTQ+ Sports Fiction

Neil Josten is the newest addition to the Palmetto State University Exy team. He's short, he's fast, he's got a ton of potential—and he's the runaway son of the murderous crime lord known as The Butcher.

Signing a contract with the PSU Foxes is the last thing a guy like Neil should do. The team is high profile and he doesn't need sports crews broadcasting pictures of his face around the nation. His lies will hold up only so long under this kind of scrutiny and the truth will get him killed.

But Neil's not the only one with secrets on the team. One of Neil's new teammates is a friend from his old life, and Neil can't walk away from him a second time. Neil has survived the last eight years by running. Maybe he's finally found someone and something worth fighting for.

I am so mad at how much I enjoyed this and how badly I want to read the next book. I have reasons, ok! The main reason is that I really thought this was a romance novel, and it's not. It's good, ok. But I kept trying to figure out what couple I'm supposed to be rooting for and then it's the end and I'm like......"ohhhhh, well I would have understood that a lot better without the preconceived notions."

Then we have the second reason which is that I can't start book 2 right away! I have a library book and an ARC in the queue before I can jump back into the series! How dare?!?

Other than those things, I loved it. I saw this book on BookTok and Bookstagram. Actually, that's a lie. I had to search out the book after seeing all of the hashtags that do and do not mention the title. Based on those posts, I really wanted to check it out. I get it. It's got a bit of everything. You've got sportsball, mafia/gang drama, university setting. It's almost dark academia but without the paranormal. Which was also a shock because I truly thought I was getting into some fae or fox shifter lore here. I really did not know what I was signing up for, but now I'm just along for the ride.

I can tell it was published 10 years ago. I swear like a sailor, so I'm not afraid of a well-placed f*ck in a book. But I will say this had some harsh language that I am not a fan of. I do not like derogatory language, especially when used by MCs about other MCs. But even that couldn't make me DNF it. Here we are 4 stars later, and I feel like I've been bamboozled! But I'm happy about it? It's madness over here, so maybe it was the fae!

Ratings
Stars: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment